The project is an important part of the Government’s strategy towards developing Sindh’s education sector and improving the literacy rate. In 2013, the Government of Sindh passed the Sindh Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act in compliance with Article 25-A of the Constitution of Pakistan. As an EMO, IRC’s role will be to manage and improve the functioning of public schools by introducing innovations, modernizing the education system, addressing management gaps, maintaining the school building and facilities, and cooperatively working along with teachers, schools’ staff, school management committees, surrounding communities and all relevant tiers of the School Education and Literacy Department. The period for which IRC will act as an EMO for the assigned schools is 10 years from the date of the signing agreement.
Education Management Organisation
Under the Sindh Education Management Organization Reforms, IRC succeeded in winning the bid to operate and manage 5 Government Schools in the district of Khairpur, Sindh, Pakistan as an Education Management Organization (EMO).
- Government High School, Bozdar Wada
- Government High School, Satabo
- Government High School, Fakirabad
- Government High School, Drib Mehar Shah
- Government Elementary School, Gagri
- Deployment of Education Management Information System (EMIS) for convenient and smart monitoring and management of school.
- Established organizational structure by appointing Head of Departments for core subjects of Science, English & Mathematics.
- Subject of Computer Science introduced for the first time in IX class.
- Extra classes after the school are introduced for the students of classes IX, X and VIII for the preparation of Board of Intermediate Secondary Examination and Student Achievement Test (SAT) respectively.
- Established KG classes in Boys’ primary school and increased the enrollment up to 66.
- Library made functional with 600 books.
- Teachers were sent to attend SPELT Int: conference.
- Health room is provided with supplies and process of appointment of male nurse is under way.
Currently, IRC is operating one of the five EMO schools in Bozdar Wada, Khairpur. The school building has been newly constructed through USAID funds, comprising of 12 classrooms with state of the art computer laboratory, science laboratory, library and a full fledge media hall. The government teachers have received several subject trainings so far and the Education Management Information System (EMIS) is deployed to make monitoring and learning more transparent, accessible and productive.